- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 1972).
- Simmons College (B.S. Business Administration, 1969)
- Virgin Islands, 1976
- Massachusetts, 1972
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- All Courts, District and State of Massachusetts
- All Courts, District and Territory of the U.S. Virgin Islands
Adriane J. Dudley
A native of Boston, Massachusetts, Adriane has been in active practice in the Virgin Islands since 1977. Her early days on St. Thomas gave Adriane the opportunity to meet and form lasting relationships with the island’s multi-cultural and excitingly diverse community members, both within and outside the legal realm. That pattern has continued throughout her professional and personal life in the Territory and beyond. As a youngster, she watched television shows featuring Perry Mason and avidly followed state and national politics. She inherited a love of the legal profession from her father, an attorney, and unlike many who have chosen a similar career only to eventually burn out, her passion has endured over the years and she is still excited to champion the needs of her clients every day.
After working as a law clerk in the Virgin Islands Territorial Court, Adriane became a prosecutor in the Office of the Attorney General and later served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Virgin Islands. In private practice since 1979, she co-founded the firm of Dudley Rich LLP, which she describes as much more than a collection of intelligent and experienced individuals working under the same roof; it is, she says, “a true partnership.” There is a spirit of cooperation among the attorneys and staff which translates into harmony and a positive outlook. She believes these qualities foster the high level of competence that assures clients receive outstanding legal services.
Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ (through Lawyers.com) recognize lawyers for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards. In 2020, Adriane received its AV Preeminent™ Rating, the highest possible honor and one that is bestowed on only 10 percent of all attorneys. It is a designation trusted worldwide by buyers and referrers of legal services.
Areas of Practice:
Adriane’s extensive experience with Virgin Islands economic development incentives for large and small businesses assists her clients in establishing effective contractual relations with the executive and legislative branches of the government and in navigating government bureaucracy. Adriane has deep expertise in the areas of labor and employment law, real estate and business management matters, while also being well versed in gaming and casino regulation. She has appeared many times in trial and appellate courts at both local and federal levels. Adriane is often sought out as a commercial arbitrator regarding construction and corporate issues, as a labor arbitrator and as a mediator dedicated to helping parties find common ground for the best possible resolution of disputes.
A leader academically, professionally and in the community, Adriane is known for her dynamic involvement in all causes she serves and was recipient of the 2009 VI Bar Association’s Winston Hodge Award for Public Service, as well as the ABA State & Local Government Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019. Adriane works to improve the quality of life in the Virgin Islands and beyond. She has a special concern for issues affecting children. As Legislative Chair of the St. Thomas-St. John Chamber of Commerce, she frequently advocates for the business community before the Virgin Islands Legislature and in 2014 was honored with the Chamber’s Community Service Award.
Bar Memberships, Professional Affiliations & Offices Held:
- American Bar Association: Member since 1972; Committee on Collective Bargaining in the Public Sector, Labor and Employment Law Section, 1979-present; Member, Section of State and Local Government, 1980-present, and Chair 2012-2013; Chair, Human Resources Committee, Section of State and Local Government 1992-1994; Diversity Chair, Section of State and Local Government 1995-1996; Virgin Islands Bar Delegate to the House of Delegates 2014-2021; Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary 2016-2019. Member, Sections of Litigation, Business Law, Law Practice 2015-present.
- Virgin Islands Bar Association: Member since 1976; Board of Governors 1976-1981,2001-2002, 2006-2007, 2012-2014 and 2014-present; President 1980-1981.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit: Member, Commission on Gender, Task Force on Equal Treatment in the Courts 2016-2019.
- U.S. District Court, Virgin Islands: Chair, Local Rules Advisory Committee, Civil & Criminal 2019-2021.
- American Law Institute: Member since 1994; elected Life Member 2019;
- American Arbitration Association: Faculty member 1985-1990; Board of Directors and Advisory Council 1995-1998.
- Practicing Law Institute: Faculty member 1990-1995.
- Virgin Islands Governor’s Commission On Youth 1996-2000.
- The Historical Society of the United States Supreme Court since 1998.
- The Historical Society of the Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Author: Virgin Islands Chapter, the annual survey of the Law of Defamation of the Virgin Islands for the Libel Defense Resource Center’s (LDRC) 50-State Survey.
- Editor: the 1992 Annual Report of the ABA Section State and Local Government Human Resources Committee published in The Urban Lawyer.
- Contributing Editor: The Developing Labor Law (1989-1994 and 1996-2001 editions), a publication of the ABA’s Section of Labor and Employment Law, Committee on the Development of the Law under The National Labor Relations Act.
- Author: America Inns of Court/LCP Federal Practice Guide Series, Third Circuit Court of Appeals, Chapter 1 “Introduction to Federal Appellate Practice.”
- Author, Report of the Committee on Human Resources, AIDS In The Workplace – A Practical Guide for Employers, Urban Lawyer, Vol. 35, No. 4, Fall 1992.
- Numerous articles and practical guides for public and professional seminars on employment issues, including Harmonizing Labor and Employment Laws in the International Caribbean Market, Center for International Legal Studies; most recent seminar: “Mandatory Vaccination: How, When, Why” presented to the membership of the St. Thomas-St. John Chamber of Commerce.
Civic Organizations and Other Affiliations:
- Foundation for the University of the Virgin Islands, Member since 1992; Secretary, Board of Directors – 1996-present.
- Foundation of the Reichhold Center for the Arts, University of the Virgin Islands, Member, Board of Directors since 2019.
- Big Sisters: Mentor since 1991.
- St. Thomas-St. John Chamber of Commerce: Board of Directors since 1980; President 1986, 1989 & 1994; Legislative Chair.
- Adriane has also served on the boards of many other civic organizations, including Rotary of St. Thomas, United Way, Queen Louise Home for Children, V. I. Public Television (WTJX), and Legal Services of the Virgin Islands.